Tuesday 20 September 2011

Music - my passion.

Since I yet cannot comment on the Zumba as it doesn't take place till Thursday (are you listening, J?!!) I am about to tell you about my main passion in life  - music.
Music is what I eat, sleep and breathe. It truly is a universal language and can heal wounds and mend broken barriers as well as broken hearts. It has no language barrier. It speaks to the world. It speaks from the heart of the composer, the lyricist, the musicians who put together an infinite work of art to be enjoyed throughout generations. There are songs which last as long as an ice cream on a scorching day and there are songs which will continue forever because the words have meaning in people's lives, says the things you wished you were poetic and lyrical enough to have dreamed up or touches a place in your heart for the most personal of reasons.
Then there are songs that just have that great beat - that "I can't keep my toes from tapping and my body swaying" kinda song - rythmically perfect.
It might surprise you to know that I'm a bit of a rocker too with Def Leppard, Guns n Roses and Bon Jovi among my eclectic collection of music. I like all styles of music. Some more than others I must admit but I'll give most genres a try - at least once (ain't that nice of me!) Come visit me and you might find Michael Buble crooning in the background - or Axl Rose screaming out "Sweet Child O' Mine. You just never know what to expect. I'm not keen on heavy opera or jazz which is quite shameful because my singing voice lends itself to the jazzy/bluesy style.
Anyone from the village knows how I love to sing. I ran our local karaoke for about 8 years and, although I didn't always enjoy the "working" aspect of the job, I ALWAYS loved the singing. I also sing a variety of songs. In my repertoire are such songs as "Valerie" by Amy Winehouse and Mark Ronson, "Make You Feel My Love" by Adele, "Proud Mary" by Tina Turner, "Heaven" by Bryan Adams, "Old Time Rock n Roll" by Bob Seger (are you getting my drift?) These are but a few. As varied in style as in lyrical composition.
I also have sung in a band put together by the landlord of my local. He plays sax, my cousin on electric guitar, 2 other guitarists and the drummer. The style is very "jazzy" but it is fun to do and, I have to say, live music is "the bomb" - I love it. I cover 2 numbers, amongst others, with them that I had never done before - "Summertime" and Carole King's "Too Late Baby" so I am experimenting all the time. I am more "Alison Moyet" than "Dame Kiri Te Kanawa" with a strong, powerful voice inherited by my paternal grandmother. It cures all ills for me. When I'm sad, I sing to cheer myself up - when I'm happy, I sing - when I'm angry, I sing to get rid of the frustration - hell, I even sang with my niece to my wee auntie last week on request from my cousins, before she passed from this life to the next! It's not only a passion for me. It's a way of life. And I'll keep loving it............

No comments:

Post a Comment